Old McKendree Chapel

Welcome to the Old McKendree Chapel

A National Methodist Shrine
Situated on two pastoral acres in a grove of oak and maple trees, Old McKendree Chapel is regarded as the oldest Protestant church structure standing west of the Mississippi River.

With the thicket of trees providing a good shade and the spring at the base of the rise dispensing refreshing cold water to travelers, this peaceful setting was an ideal location for camp meetings. Mckendree Church was organized in July of 1809 following one of those meetings.

In 1819 skilled workmen built the chapel from huge poplar logs. The first services were held during 1819, and regular church services were held until around 1890. Since then, the chapel has been used for special service such as weddings, baptisms, reunions, and an annual Easter Sunrise Service.

The Chapel has been renovated to its present condition with funds from the District Board of Church Extension. The Chapel is listed in the National Archives of the Methodist Church and the National Register of Historic Places in the United States.

To visit the chapel, from Interstate 55 take exit 99. Turn west onto Highway 61, follow to County Road 307. Turn north, follow to County Road 206. Turn left, the entrance is on the right.

Winter Hours: 8 am to dusk
Summer Hours: 8 am to 7 pm
Picnic Table and Shelter — Rest rooms Available

Chapel Attendants:
Crystal and Matt Highfill
(573) 204-3633
For a personal tour, please call 3 or more days in advance.

About these ads
Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

%d bloggers like this: