Category Archives: attractions

Old McKendree Chapel

Welcome to the Old McKendree Chapel

A National Methodist Shrine
Situated on two pastoral acres in a grove of oak and maple trees, Old McKendree Chapel is regarded as the oldest Protestant church structure standing west of the Mississippi River.

With the thicket of trees providing a good shade and the spring at the base of the rise dispensing refreshing cold water to travelers, this peaceful setting was an ideal location for camp meetings. Mckendree Church was organized in July of 1809 following one of those meetings.

In 1819 skilled workmen built the chapel from huge poplar logs. The first services were held during 1819, and regular church services were held until around 1890. Since then, the chapel has been used for special service such as weddings, baptisms, reunions, and an annual Easter Sunrise Service.

The Chapel has been renovated to its present condition with funds from the District Board of Church Extension. The Chapel is listed in the National Archives of the Methodist Church and the National Register of Historic Places in the United States.

To visit the chapel, from Interstate 55 take exit 99. Turn west onto Highway 61, follow to County Road 307. Turn north, follow to County Road 206. Turn left, the entrance is on the right.

Winter Hours: 8 am to dusk
Summer Hours: 8 am to 7 pm
Picnic Table and Shelter — Rest rooms Available

Chapel Attendants:
Crystal and Matt Highfill
(573) 204-3633
For a personal tour, please call 3 or more days in advance.

Oliver House

The Oliver House
224 East Adams Street
Jackson, MO  63755
The Oliver House (left) is a renovated home from the late 1800’s which has been turned into a museum for the public. It has a rich history, and provides a rare look at home life from 1850-1900. The museum is open to the public during visiting hours, and special tours may also be arranged.

Photo taken by Randy Reisenbichler of Jackson

Visiting Hours & Information
May – December
1st Sunday of each month
1:00 p.m. – 4:30 p.m.
For information about special tours or events, contact the
Jackson Heritage Association

The Oliver House in the snow

History
The year is 1881, Robert Burett and Marie (Watkins) Oliver are moving into their recently purchased home. In 1878, Mr. Oliver moved his law practice to Jackson and was elected to serve as prosecuting attorney. The young lawyer was elected to the Missouri State Senate in 1882. His political career brought William Jennings Bryan, three time presidential candidate, to the Oliver House. Mrs. Oliver also gained notoriety as “Missouri’s Betsy Ross,” as she along with a friend designed the Missouri state flag. The sewing kit that she used is now part of the Oliver House’s collection.The museum will be open the first Sunday in May, July, October and all three Sundays before Christmas in December for guided tours at 1:30 p.m.(Note: during December the Museum is decorated in a traditional Victorian theme.)Adults $3.00
Children $1.00
Children under age 3 are free.

For more information about special tours, private tours, or special events, contact the Jackson Chamber of Commerce at (573) 243-8131 or (573) 243-3753.

Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

%d bloggers like this: